Uber has put in place vehicle requirements for people who want to apply as drivers. These requirements are pegged on the type of Uber ride you want to apply for, either UberX or UberChapChap. Before you proceed to make your application to Uber as a driver, you must ensure that your vehicle meets the minimum stipulated requirements.
Make sure it meets the vehicle requirements in Kenya, and remember that you’ll make more money if you keep your costs low.
- Your vehicle
- Model year 2006 or newer
- 4-door car
- Selected 2-door cars
- Your paperwork
- Motor vehicle registration book
- PSV insurance
- Vehicle inspection report
- Business Permit
- National ID
Uber vehicle options in Kenya
UberX is the premium ride choice in the city. Only spacious sedans and station wagons with an engine capacity above 1,300cc will be eligible for UberX trips. Most popular UberX vehicles are Toyota Belta, Toyota Ractis, Toyota Corolla.
Vehicle requirements for UberX
- 4-door sedan in good condition
- Seat at least 4 passengers in addition to the driver
- Working windows and air conditioning
- No full-sized vans or trucks vehicles
- No salvaged or rebuilt vehicles
- Selected cars models year 2006 or newer qualify to drive with UberX
Popular UberX models
- Mazda – Demio (1300cc and below)
- Toyota – Viti (1300cc and below), Prius (1300cc and below), Belta (1300cc and below), Passo (1300cc and below), Yaris (1300cc and below)
- Mitsubishi – Colt (1300cc and below)
- Nissan – March (1300cc and below), Note (1300cc and below), Leaf (1300cc and below)
- Suzuki – Swift (1300cc and below)
- Honda – FIT (1300cc and below), Insight (1300cc and below), Civic (1300cc and below), Jazz (1300cc and below)
- Daihatsu – MIRA (1300cc and below)
- Kia – Niro (1300cc and below)
UberChapChap is the everyday compact ride. Small hatchbacks with an engine capacity of 1,300cc or less are only eligible for UberChapChap trips. Most popular UberChapChap vehicles are Suzuki Alto, Toyota Vitz or Mazda Demio.
Vehicle requirements for UberChapChap
- Car in good condition
- Car model year 2017 or newer qualify to drive with UberChapChap
Uber Kenya contacts
Got questions? You can reach out to Uber Kenya using the contact details below.