Electricity has become somewhat of a basic need, and prepaid electricity meters are being installed in many homes as a way of monitoring and regulating their electricity usage. People can buy units, commonly known as tokens, for any amount just like airtime, and monitor the usage. This has moved from the widely inefficient and error-bound postpaid system, where customers had to pay after using electricity. Unlike postpaid meters, where you had to wait for postage at the end of the month, make long queues to pay and often contend with exaggerated amounts, prepaid meters present an easy way to buy tokens right from your mobile phone, agent or bank.
When the units are about to be exhausted, prepaid meters will alert you through a continuous built-in alarm-like beeping sound. The alert starts, whereabout 20kWh mark, and becomes continuous and faster as you continue using the tokens. It becomes the loudest, and even fastest when your tokens fall below 5kWh. The sound can become annoying and irritating more especially at night, but there are ways you can stop the beeping sound. The procedure of silencing the prepaid meters, varies from one brand and model to another. So, the steps you use to silence one meter, may not essentially be the same as the one used on another meter.
How to stop a prepaid electricity meter from beeping
Different prepaid meter brands and models, have different ways that you can use to mute the beeping sound. But, if the specified method does not work on your meter, try out the steps for other models.
- Hexing – Press 812 followed by hash (#), or press 812 then ‘Enter’ key
- Nirav Star Instrument – Press 1037 then hit ‘Enter’ button 3 times
- Conlog Intech – Long press the hash (#) button, or hit the delete (backspace) button 3 times
- Actaris – Long press the ‘Enter’ button
- Inhemeter – Press 016 or 017 then ‘Enter’ or hash (#) button
- Shenzen – Press 1037 then hit ‘Enter’ button 3 times
- Itron – Long press the ‘Enter’ button
- Intech – Press 812 then hash (#) button