People do make mistakes, and in one instance or another, you might initiate a wrong transaction. On Mpesa this is a common mistake made by several users. This might be an honest mistake; you might miss a digit, interchange digits or entirely make a mistake on the whole number. Also, you might receive money that you were not expecting, someone sent you money by mistake or the sender calls you to inform you of his/her mistake. Worry not, you can be able to reverse the transaction. In some cases you might buy airtime instead of sending money, the reversal can still be done. The steps below apply to both the sender and receiver, if any of them wants to initiate a transaction reversal.
How to reverse a wrong Mpesa transaction
To reverse a wrong Mpesa transaction, follow these steps.
- Forward the Mpesa message you received to 456
- Automatically you will get this response from Safaricom, “Dear Customer, your reversal request has been received and is being processed. We will send you you a status update within 5 minutes. Thank you.”
- Wait on the next response from Safaricom, to confirm if the reversal was successful or not.
- To send a message to 456 is free of charge
- For a reversal to be successful, the Mpesa balance should be equivalent to or more than the reversal amount