A driving license is a document issued as an authority to allow a person to drive a motor vehicle of any class on a road. It’s a mandatory requirement to have a driving license with you when driving a motor vehicle. In Kenya, if you are a non-holder of either a valid driving license or a provisional license endorsed in respect of that class of vehicle, then you cannot be permitted to drive a motor vehicle. No person is entitled to hold more than one driving license, only that the license can be endorsed to permit the holder to drive one or more classes of motor vehicle.
Driving licenses shall upon expiry be renewed on production and upon payment of the prescribed fee. The renewal period will either be valid for a period of twelve (12) months or three (3) years from the date of issue at the option of the holder. The procedure below, details how you can be able to renew your driving license online on the eCitizen portal. You can be able to renew your driving license for one or three years.
- Log into your eCitizen portal. If you haven’t created an account, you can also do so by clicking Register
- Under NTSA tab, click on ‘Get Service’
- On the next screen click ‘Make Application’
- Click the + sign adjacent to Driving License
- Proceed to select your preferred renewal term ‘One Year Driving License Renewal’ or ‘Three Years Driving License Renewal’
- On the next window, confirm the details and information provided, or alternatively choose the other time frame for the application.
- Click the ‘Apply’ button
- Your Driving License details will be populated. Confirm if every detail is in order
- Proceed to make the payment, by selecting your preferred mode of payment; either Mpesa, debit and credit cards
- Follow the procedure given to complete the transaction
- If the transaction is successful, your renewal slip will be automatically be generated, which you can then proceed to download and print
- One year driving license renewal – Ksh 600
- Three years driving license renewal – Ksh 1,400
- NTSA convenience fee – Ksh 50