A professional engineer is an individual, who has fulfilled education and experience requirements and passed rigorous exams, and thereafter licensed to practice engineering. For one to practice as a professional engineer in Kenya, one is required by law to register with the Engineers Board of Kenya (EBK). The registration provides an assurance to the public that one is adequately skilled to take the responsibilities that come with making engineering decisions.
A registered professional engineer is issued with a practicing license every year. There is no age restriction for registration as a professional engineer. The only requirement is for a graduate engineer to demonstrate that he/she has acquired sufficient skills and professional competence to work as an engineer. Typically, this is may be achieved within two and half to three years where structured training is effected.
To register as a professional engineer in Kenya, follow this application procedure.
- Ensure that you meet the following qualifications;
- Registered with EBK as a Graduate Engineer
- Have at least 3 years working experience from the date of registration as a Graduate Engineer
- Have worked under supervision of a Professional Engineer
- Fill in the Application Form; available here or at the EBK’s Customer Information Desk
- Attach the below listed documents (Certification to be done by the Commissioner of Oaths whose names and address are fully displayed on the Rubber Stamp);
- Certified copy of Degree Certificate and other relevant academic certificates
- Certified copy of National Identity Card (ID)/ Passport
- EBK Graduate Engineer Certificate
- IEK Membership Certificate or Receipt of application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) certified by one of the referees
- Two colored passport photos
- Applicant should deposit Ksh 10,000 application fee at EBK’s Bank Account;
- Account Name: Engineers Board of Kenya
- Account No: 01001031539000
- Bank: National Bank. Hill Plaza
- Drop your application together with the Bank Slip at the Customer Information Desk
- After all the documents are received, the Board will carry out administrative review of the documents and if there are any deficiencies the Secretariat will advise the applicant accordingly
- The Board will contact the nominated referees. Upon receiving at least two responses, the application will be forwarded to the chairman of the panel of the respective discipline for technical evaluation
- The Panel will carry out a technical evaluation and present their recommendations to the Board for approval of submission of professional interview documents
- The Board will notify the applicant in writing the approval to sit for the professional interview and forward to them the notes and rules on the conduct of the professional interview
- The applicant should prepare, submit and sit for his/her professional interview within (1) one year from the date of notification
- After the applicant has sat for the professional interview the recommendations will be forwarded to the Board for deliberations and ratifications
- The applicant will be notified in writing of the Board’s recommendations and thereafter a certificate of registration will be issued to successful applicants
Engineers Board of Kenya (EBK) Contacts
You can reach out to Engineers Board of Kenya (EBK) using the following contacts.