When you enter the wrong PIN for your mobile more than 3 times, your SIM card will be locked. This prevents anyone trying to guess your PIN. To unlock it, you’ll need a PIN Unlocking Key (PUK) code. The PUK number is usually indicated on the plastic card holder that comes with a new SIM card. But, in case you lost the plastic card holder, don’t worry, Safaricom has a number of solutions for you.
Retrieving your Safaricom PUK number
To obtain your Safaricom PUK number, you can use any of the following options.
- Dial *456# from another phone with an active Safaricom line
- Select ‘Get PUK’
- Enter your mobile phone number
- Enter your national ID number
- You’ll receive your PUK code shortly via a text message
b. MySafaricom app
- Launch MySafaricom app
- Tab on ‘Account’
- Select ‘PUK’
- The PUK for your number will be displayed under ‘My Number’
If you are using the app on someone’s phone.
- Select ‘Other Number’
- Enter phone number
- Enter ID number or the identification document used to register the Safaricom line
- Then tap on ‘Request PUK’
- The PUK will be displayed on the app
c. Safaricom Selfcare Portal
- Open Safaricom Selfcare Portal
- Log in to your account
- Under ‘My Profile’, select ‘Personal Details’
- Click on ‘See subscription details’
- Then scroll down to ‘Subscription Information’
- You will see your PUK number
d. Email support
e. Safaricom Shop
If you live close or have easy access to a Safaricom Customer Care Shop, then you can simply walk in and you will be assisted in retrieving your PUK number.