The Access to Government Procurement Opportunities (AGPO) is a program that aims to facilitate the enterprises owned by women, youth and persons with disability to be able to participate in government opportunities. The program is aimed at empowering them by giving them more opportunities to do business with the government, as per the legal requirement that 30% of government procurement opportunities be set aside specifically for enterprises owned by these groups.
If you are a youth (people aged between 18 years to 35 years old), organized group of women or persons with disability, running an enterprise then you qualify to participate in opportunities created by the Government of Kenya. These opportunities include access to AGPO tenders, public works, consultancy services, and supply of goods among others. A youth-owned organization should be a registered enterprise in the form of a sole proprietorship, partnership, or limited company.
If it is a limited company or partnership, ownership must be in the form of shares owned or capital invested. The composition of youth in the company must not be less than 70%. The same applies to people with disabilities; people with physical, hearing, visual, learning, mental or sensory impairment. For women to register for the AGPO certificate, they must be in a company, corporation, association or unincorporated entity where 70% of the members or shareholders, including directors are females.
The business you wish to register with AGPO, must meet the following requirements.
- National Identity Cards/Kenyan Passports of the owners, partners, directors or shareholders
- Be a registered business enterprise at the Attorney General’s Office in the form of a sole proprietorship business, partnership business or a limited company. The enterprise owned by youth, women or persons with disabilities shall be a legal entity that;
- is registered with the relevant government body
- has at least seventy percent membership of youth, women or persons with disabilities and the leadership shall be one hundred percent youth, women and persons with disability, respectively
- Business Registration Certificate/Certificate of Incorporation
- A partnership deed from a lawyer, if the business is a partnership
- CR12 from the Registrar of Companies, if the business is a limited company
- KRA PIN and tax compliance/exemption certificate from the Kenya Revenue Authority website
- All required certifications from professional bodies and authorities such as National Construction Authority, Insurance Regulatory Authority, ICPAK, LSK, National Council for Persons with Disability, NEMA, ERC and all other authorized bodies
- A bank account for the business
- A bank reference from the business’ bank
Applying for AGPO certificate
To obtain a AGPO certificate, follow this procedure.
- Visit the AGPO website
- Click on the ‘Register’ option
- Fill your personal information
- You will receive an email with an activation link
- Click on the link to activate your AGPO account
- Log into the AGPO system under the returning user page
- Fill in your business details and upload all the required original scanned documents. These details include:
- Your business type – ICT, Security, Construction, etc.
- Number of employees
- Annual Turnover in Kenya Shillings
- Incorporation Certificate Number
- Years of experience
- PIN number
- Tax Compliance Certificate number
- VAT number, where applicable
- Bank details including name, branch, account name and account number
- Government history. The step allows you to submit any history of working with the Government of Kenya
- The information needed can include whether you have been a benefactor of the 30% scheme or a supplier
- You must give any tender value and answer whether you have done any capacity building in the past
- After submission, you will have to wait for your application to be approved
- You can always log back into the website to check your AGPO certificate application status
Renewing your AGPO certificate
You will be required to renew your AGPO certificate after every 2 years. The renewal process seeks to check the business shareholding status, tax compliance and other things that may have changed.
- Go to the AGPO website
- Log in into the AGPO system
- Fill in details/requirements about your business and compliance